10/27/16

Poems | Miyah Poetry Series (Translated by Shalim M Hussain ) - Part I

Over the next few weeks, we will be publishing a series of poems that have come to be known as Miyah poetry (A resistance movement that grew up recently as a response to the threats faced by Muslims in Assam due to the #Dvoter issue ) 

Shalim adds:  
" 'A Charuwa's Proposition' (1939) is probably the first published poem from the Miyah/ Char-Chapori Muslim community of Assam. It is a little rigid and quite benign but it was re-discovered only recently and celebrated as the first self-assertive Miyah poem. 'I Beg to State That', published in 1985 in the aftermath of the Nellie Massacre and the coming to power of the AGP was the first true assertion of Miyahness and started the trend of protest poetry among the Miyah/Char-Chapori people."

An oil painting by Anil Karanjai


A Charuwa’s [1] Proposition (1939)[2]
Maulana Bande Ali

Some say Bengal is my birthplace
And gloat in this bitter accusation
Well, before they came,
My father and my mother and many others
Left their homes, became country-less
How many people belonged to countries then
Who now wear the crowns and masks of leaders?
They are trapped by greed, I know
I quietly observe the language greed speaks.
But I will not tear the plate that feeds me
My faith will not allow me.
This land that I live in
I will revel in this land’s well-being.
The land which my Aai, Abbajan
Left for the heavens
This land is my own, my golden Assam
This land is my holy sanctuary.
The land I scrape to build my house
Is my own land
These are words from the Quran
And in it there is no falsehood
The people of this land are simple, pure
The Assamese are our own
We will share what we have in our shared home
And raise a golden family.

I am not a charuwa, not a pamua[3]
We have also become Asomiya
Of Assam’s land and air, of Assam’s language
We have become equal claimants.
If Assamese dies, so do we
But why will we let it happen?
For newer tribulations we will build new weapons
With new tools we will build a new future.
Where will we find such love, such respect
Where will we find such a place?
Where the plough cuts through earth and reveals gold
Where will we find such a land of grace?
Mother Assam feeds us at her breast
We are her frolicking children
Let us sing in one tune- we are Asomiya
We shall not be Mymensinghia
We will need no ‘borders’
We will be brothers
And when outsiders come to loot us,
We will bar them with our bare chests.




[1] Charuwa- A word used for people from the chars.
[2] The original poem is written in the abab rhyme scheme.
[3] Pamua- Settler




 চৰুৱাৰ উক্তি
মৌঃ বন্দে আলী

কোনে বোলে বঙ্গদেশ মোৰ জন্মভূমি
             লভি যাৰ তিক্ত নিৰ্য্যাতন,
আহিছিল ঘৰ এৰি হই দেশান্তৰী
            পিতৃ-মাতৃ আৰু কতজন !
তেতিয়া আছিল ক'ত দেশৰ কুটুম
           যিসকলে দিছে নেতা ভাও,
বুজিছো সকলো ফন্দী স্বাৰ্থৰ কাৰণে
           তাৰো মাথো শুনি আছোঁ ৰাও
কদাপি নহওঁ মই খাইপাতফলা
           ধৰ্ম্ম মোৰ নহয় তেনেকুৱা,
যি দেশত আছোঁ মই সিখনি দেশৰ
          হিত চিন্তি হ'ম মতলীয়া
যিখিনি দেশতে মোৰ আই-আব্বাজানে
          দুনিয়াত লভিলে আস্মান,
সেয়ে এই মোৰ দেশ সোণৰ অসম
          ইয়াতোকৈ নাই পূণ্যস্থান। 
যি দেশত মাটি চহি ল'লো ঘৰ-বাৰী
          সেয়ে মোৰ আপোনাৰ দেশ,
পৰম পৱিত্ৰ ই যে কোৰাণৰ বাণী 
         নাই তাত অসত্যৰ লেশ।
ইদেশৰ অধিবাসী সৰল নিৰ্মল 
         অসমীয়া আপোন আমাৰ,
সকলোটি মিলি-জুলি এখনি ঘৰতে 
         পাতি ল'ম সোণৰ সংসাৰ।
নহওঁ চৰুৱা মই নহওঁ পমুৱা
         আমিও যে হ'লো অসমীয়া,
অসমৰ জল-বায়ু অসমৰ ভাষা
        সকলোৰে সমান ভগীয়া।
মৰে যদি অসমীয়া আমিও মৰিম 
        তেনে কথা কিয় হ'ব দিম!
নতুন উদ্যমে আমি সবাই যুঁজিম
         ভৱিষ্যৎ আমিয়ে গঢ়িম।
ক'ত পাম এনে স্নেহ এনে সমাদৰ
         ক'ত পাম এনেখনি দেশ,
হালৰ ফালত য'ত সোণৰ চপৰা
         নাই যাৰ মহিমাৰ শেষ।
চেনেহী অসম-মাতৃ দিছে স্তন্যধাৰা
         আনন্দতে নাচে মোৰ হিয়া,
গাওঁ আহা সমস্বৰে---আমি অসমীয়া
        নোহো আৰু মৈমনছিঙীয়া।
'সীমাৰেখা' প্ৰয়োজন নহয় তেতিয়া
       একে ভাই হ'লো একে ঠাই,
আহিলে বিদেশী কোননো আমাক লুটিব
        বাধা দিম বুকু ফিন্দুৱাই।



I beg to State That (1985)
Khabir Ahmed

I beg to state that
I am a settler, a hated Miyah
Whatever be the case, my name is
Ismail Sheikh, Ramzan Ali or Majid Miyah
Subject- I am an Assamese Asomiya

I have many things to say
Stories older than Assam’s folktales
Stories older than the blood
Flowing through your veins

After forty years of independence
I have no space in the words of beloved writers
The brush of your scriptwriters doesn’t dip in my picture
My name left unpronounced in assemblies and parliaments
On no martyr’s memorial, on no news report is my name printed
Even in tiny letters.
Besides, you haven’t yet decided what to call me-
Am I Miyah, Asomiya or Neo-Asomiya?

And yet you talk of the river
The river is Assam’s mother, you say
You talk of trees
Assam is the land of blue hills, you say
My spine is tough, steadfast as the trees
The shade of the trees my address…
You talk of farmers, workers
Assam is the land of rice and labour, you say
I bow before paddy, I bow before sweat
For I am a farmer’s boy…

I beg to state that I am a
Settler, a dirty Miyah
Whatever be the case, my name
Is Khabir Ahmed or Mijanur Miyah
Subject- I am an Assamese Asomiya.
Sometime in the last century I lost
My address in the storms of the Padma
A merchant’s boat found me drifting and dropped me here
Since then I have held close to my heart this land, this earth
And began a new journey of discovery
From Sadiya to Dhubri…

Since that day
I have flattened the red hills
Chopped forests into cities, rolled earth into bricks
From bricks built monuments
Laid stones on the earth, burnt my body black with peat
Swam rivers, stood on the bank
And dammed floods
Irrigated crops with my blood and sweat
And with the plough of my fathers, etched on the earth
A…S…S….A…M

Even I waited for freedom
Built a nest in the river reeds
Sang songs in Bhatiyali
When the Father came visiting,
I listened to the music of the Luit
In the evening stood by the Kolong, the Kopili
And saw on their banks gold.

Suddenly a rough hand brushed my face
On a burning night in ‘83
My nation stood on the black hearths of Nellie and screamed
The clouds caught fire at Mukalmua and Rupohi, Juria,
Saya Daka, Pakhi Daka- homes of the Miyahs
Burnt like cemeteries
The floods of ’84 carried my golden harvest
In ’85 a gang of gamblers auctioned me
On the floor of the Assembly.

Whatever be the case, my name
Is Ismail Sheikh, Ramzan Ali or Mazid Miyah
Subject- I am an Assamese Asomiya.





বিনীত নিবেদন এই যে
খবিৰ আহমেদ

বিনীত নিবেদন এই যে
মই এজন পমুৱা, এজন লাঞ্চিত মিঞা
যিয়েই নহওক কিয় মোৰ নাম
ইছমাইল শ্বেখ, ৰমজান আলি কিংবা মাজিদ মিঞা
জ্ঞাতব্য বিষয় মই অসমৰেই অসমীয়া
যিবোৰ কথা অসমৰ সাধুকথাৰ দৰেই প্ৰাচীন
যিবোৰ কথা তোমালোকৰ ধমনীত প্ৰবাহিত
ৰক্ত কণিকাতকৈও আদিম...
কোনো সহৃদয লেখকৰ লেখনিত মোৰ ঠাই নহ'ল
কোনো চিত্ৰশিল্পীৰ তুলিকাত চিত্ৰিত নহ'ল মোৰ ছবি
বিধানসভা অথবা সংসদ ভৱনত এবাৰো উচ্চাৰিত নহ'ল মোৰ কথা
কোনো শ্বহীদ বেদী অথবা কোনো সংবাদ পত্ৰত
ঘুণাক্ষৰেও লিখা নহ'ল মোৰ নাম
আনকি মোৰ কোনো সংজ্ঞাও পোৱা নহ'ল
মই মিঞা নে অসমীয়া নে ন-অসমীয়া
হৃদয় মোৰ নদীৰ দৰেই গভীৰ আৰু বহল
বৃক্ষৰ কথা কোৱা হয়, অসম নীলা পাহাৰৰ দেশ
মেৰুদণ্ড মোৰ বৃক্ষৰ দৰেই কঠিন আৰু অটল
বৃক্ষৰ ছায়াই মোৰ স্বাভাৱিক ঘৰ
কৃষক শ্ৰমিকৰ কথা কোৱা হয়, অসম কৃষি প্ৰধান দেশ
কৃষি আৰু শ্ৰমৰ প্ৰতি আছে মোৰ জন্মগত মহান শ্ৰদ্ধা
মই যে কৃষকৰেই সন্তান...
মই এজন পমুৱা,  এজন ঘৃণনীয় মিঞা
যিয়েই নহওক কিয় মোৰ নাম
খবিৰ আহমেদ কিংবা মিজানুৰ ভূঞা
জ্ঞাতব্য বিষয় যে মই অসমৰেই অসমীয়া
পদ্মাৰ ধুমুহাত মোৰ ঠিকনা হেৰাল যোৱা শতিকাত
বন্দৰ বিচাৰি বণিকৰ জাহাজত উজাই আহিলোঁ মই
চিৰদিনৰ বাবে আপোন বুলি সাৱটি ল'লো এই দেশ এই মাটি
তাৰ পিছত আৰম্ভ হ'ল মোৰ নতুন আৱিষ্কাৰ
শদিযাৰ পৰা ধুবুৰীলৈ...
ৰঙা মাটিৰ পাহাৰ কাটি সমতল কৰিছোঁ ভূমি
হাবি কাটি নগৰ কৰিছোঁ মাটি পিহি কৰিছোঁ ইটা
আৰু ইটাৰ পৰা অট্টালিকা
ৰাস্তাত শিল পাৰিছোঁ পিটচেৰে ক'লা কৰি দিছোঁ গা
কাৰখানাত কুলিগিৰি কৰিছোঁ পথাৰবোৰ সেউজীয়া কৰিছোঁ মই
মই নদী সাঁতুৰিছো নদীৰ পাৰত উবুৰি হৈ
বানপানী ভেটা দিছোঁ মই
এনেদৰে প্ৰতিদিন তেজ আৰু ঘামেৰে উৰ্বৰ কৰিছোঁ মাটি
বাপতিসাহোন নাঙলেৰে মাটিত লিখিছোঁ এটি নাম
অ...স...ম
চৰাইবোৰৰ দৰে চৰ-চাপৰিত নল-খাগৰিৰ বাহ সাজিছিলো
অনাবিল আনন্দত ভাটিয়ালী গান গাইছিলো
জাতিৰ পিতা যেতিয়া অসমলৈ আহিছিল
তেতিয়া মই লুইতৰ গান শুনিছিলো
সূৰ্যাস্তৰ সময়ত কপিলীৰ বোকাময় বুকু মই স্বৰ্ণোজ্জ্বল দেখিছিলোঁ
মোৰ তিৰাশীৰ জোৎস্নাপ্লুত ৰাতি
নেলীৰ বিধ্বস্ত বস্তি ভিটাত থিয় হৈ বিনালে মোৰ দেশ
মুকালমুৱাত মেঘাচ্ছন্ন হ'ল আকাশ আৰু 'ৰূপহী' 'জুৰিয়া'
মিঞাসকলৰ সেই 'ছায়া ঢাকা পখী ডাকা' গাঁওবোৰ শ্মশান হ'ল...
চৌৰাশীৰ প্ৰবল বন্যাই উটুৱাই নিলে মোৰ সোণবৰণীয়া পথাৰ
পঁচাশীত এদল বাজিকৰে নিলামত বিক্ৰী কৰিলে মোক
বিধানসভাৰ মজিয়াত
ইছমাইল শ্বেখ, ৰমজান আলী কিংবা মাজিদ মিঞা
জ্ঞাতব্য বিষয় মই অসমৰেই অসমীয়া
ক'বলগা মোৰ বহুত কথাই আছিল
স্বাধীনতাৰ দুকুৰি বছৰ পিছতো
অথচ নদীৰ কথা কোৱা হয়, অসম নদীমাতৃক দেশ
বিনীত নিবেদন এই যে
সেইদিনাৰ পৰা মই
সনাতন স্বাধীনতাৰ বাবেও এদিন আকুল আছিলোঁ
হঠাত কাৰোবাৰ কঠিন হাতৰ পৰশত উচুপি উঠিল

যিয়েই নহওক কিয় মোৰ নাম




Read the complete series here


No comments:

Post a Comment